Monday, October 22, 2012

Happy Birthday Mum!


A few days late, but here it is anyway: Happy birthday mum! You're the egg in my cookies.

I went to Houston this past weekend to celebrate my mum's birthday. We did all the things she likes to do: eat, eat, eat, judge people, and watch TV.

One of her favorite pastimes is watching Chinese and Korean soap operas badly dubbed in Vietnamese. The past few times I've been home, I've watched them with her in the evenings before we go to bed.

This past weekend was no exception.

We watched a Korean soap opera. There were misunderstandings, love triangles, betrayals, resurrections, you know, classic trademarks of a good soap opera. Anyway, during one of the scenes, a heavily made up woman appears.

MUM: Those Korean women like to try to look good.
ME: Is that any different than regular people?
MUM: Yessss! Every time you see a Korean lady, she always trying to look good!*

I just laughed*. Moms can say the funniest things.  

*Unless it's a terribly overarching generalization that offends, then I totally frowned upon this conversation and did not laugh at all.

1 comment:

  1. I don't always try to look good, and I think it disappoints my mom!

    ReplyDelete

Say something good.